I Liq Chuan International Fourm

Вернуться   I Liq Chuan International Fourm > Iliqchuan in the World > Main Forum

Закрытая тема

Опции темы Поиск в этой теме
Старый 28.07.2008, 19:43
Bmeeks0 Bmeeks0 вне форума

По умолчанию Listening energy in ILQ?

So I've been thinking in taking up ILQ ever since I met Mr. Chin a few months at a Florida workshop. I have been doing Yang Tai Chi Chuan for 6 years now and have developed a decient skill. In my TCC my teacher focused a lot on listening energy and I was curious to know if its something that is trained in ILQ. Thanks in advance!
-Ben
Старый 29.07.2008, 02:25
ashe ashe вне форума

Отправить сообщение для ashe с помощью Skype™

awareness = listening

ILC = the martial art of awareness

Старый 29.07.2008, 02:45

Цитата:
awareness = listening

ILC = the martial art of awareness

Yar Har Har...

ok, How about this one...

In the seminar I went to it seemed like there is a large emphasis placed on being in the Yang position so you can control the opponent. In my TCC most of my work is done from the Yin position(just personally worked out that way, not taught to be in that position). We trained for it not to matter which position you are in.
So, Does ILQ favor being in the Yang position?

Can you control the opponent in a similar(if not the same) way in the Yin position?
Старый 29.07.2008, 06:56
Steve Bobs Steve Bobs вне форума

Hi Ben,

In ILC we train both the yin and the yang elements of controlling the opponent. You cannot have one without the other, this is the balance of Tai Chi, the yin/yang symbol. It is the mind that moves focus.
For example, if I try to do a yin move without any yang present then I will collapse, no peng energy will be generated.

We have specific language pertaining to the concepts, so we are not necessarily talking the same thing. If you decide to take up ILc then you need to remember to 'empty your cup' first. This is not to say that you discard what you know and in the words of Master Sam's brother, Franky, you put it in your back pocket until you have a firm grasp of what ILC is about and then have a look at what you had before and then decide what can stay and what to let go of.

What is your reason to take up ILC ? If it is for listening power, then it is to do with expanding your awareness, therefore it is the meditation that is important. You can do this with your own art. It's just that we have specific exercises to help to guide the mind to become aware of what is going on in the body, if the mind and body aren't in balance then the listening power will not be strong, it will be distracted by improper posture, much like interference if a radio station isn't quite tuned in properly.

Hope this helps you decide Ben.

Regards,

Steve
Старый 29.07.2008, 15:40

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I see a lot of the same stuff going in between TCC and ILC(Sorry about the Q people!). I feel confident in my ability to listen and the skills I have developed with TCC. The reason I am looking into making a change is that... a situation arose where I couldn't morally justify staying with my TCC teacher. So now I'm on my own and am just looking at all the options. I've been largely unimpressed my what I have seen close by my area(I live in north GA) and since Mr.Chin comes to both North Carolina and Northern Florida that would be an option.

I also like how little space ILC takes up. I have a hard time fitting the Yang long form into the area I have to work with. Its just a rough time in my MA practice...
Старый 30.07.2008, 04:33
Steve Bobs Steve Bobs вне форума

Well if you get 2 chances to catch up with Master Sam, I'd certainly do it, we only get him once a year over here.
There is plenty of material to study from and we have this forum for students to discuss, but you do need a partner to really understand ILC. Perhaps there are some others who have been to the previous w/shops in your area to form a study group with ? (I'm not really sure of the geography)
Старый 30.07.2008, 05:01

Yeah there are a few options for a partner to work with. I'm just going to have to give it a lot of thought. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Старый 30.07.2008, 06:41
Qiang Qiang вне форума

Actually, Sifu usually goes to NC twice a year. So, that would be 3 relatively close workshop opportunities a year. And there's usually a monthly extended NC practice/get together (4ish hours). It's probably a bit far for you for the monthly event, but I thought I'd mention it anyhow.

FWIW, the ILC form doesn't require a whole lot of space, and it's also relatively short. Practicing it mindfully will train your ability harmonize your self, but it will only get you so far. Like Steve said, at some point, you really will need to partner train to truly understand ILC.
Старый 31.07.2008, 20:17

Thanks, Its good to know about the monthly practice sessions. It might be a good thing to do two or three times a year. Thanks everybody!
Старый 02.08.2008, 22:05
ashe ashe вне форума

Отправить сообщение для ashe с помощью Skype™

if you stick with it, progress might be slow at first, but eventually you'll be good enough to start your own study group in your area. then you'll have plenty of people to work with.

that's how i did it.